We’re proud of what we’ve achieved and the international recognition we’ve received from both clients and industry peers. We’ve been praised for our delivery of client service excellence, legal expertise as well as our efficient operational management. Some of our recent successes include:
Financial Times Innovative Lawyer Report 2014
DWF has been recognised as one of Europe’s 50 most innovative law firms by the Financial Times in its Innovative Lawyers 2014 report. The independently researched report, published annually in association with RSG Consulting, recognises the lawyers and law firms which are contributing to fresh thinking and innovative practice. It is the only ranking of law firms by innovation.
- DWF has been recognised as one of the ‘Most Innovative Law Firms in Client Service’ for its bespoke Crisis Response Service, which supports clients across a broad range of sectors through any type of business crisis. Offered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, Crisis Response encompasses access to legal advice, business continuity planning, reputation management and psychological support for employees. DWF is believed to be the only UK law firm providing such a comprehensive service.
- DWF has been named one of the ‘Most Innovative Law Firms in Diversity’ in recognition of becoming the first UK law firm to achieve the ‘Proud to be ClearAssured’ status. Established by The Clear Company, the UK’s leading auditors of inclusive recruitment practices, the ClearAssured status highlights DWF’s commitment to encouraging diversity within the profession and establishes the firm as an inclusive recruiter for disabled talent.
Legal Week Client Satisfaction Report 2014
DWF has been independently recognised as one of the top UK law firms for client satisfaction in Legal Week magazine’s 2014 Client Satisfaction Survey, with clients commending the firm’s ‘commercial acumen’ and ‘approachability’.
- DWF ranked first out of all law firms for its Use of IT and Knowledge Management, reflecting the successful outcomes of the firm’s £12million investment in IT.
- The firm received its highest scores for responsiveness (9/10) and personal/partner relationships (8/10) reflecting the significant growth of the firm’s client care programme.
Legal Week Client Satisfaction Report 2013
An independent survey of senior decision-makers at FTSE 100, 350, and AIM listed companies as well as the UK's 100 largest privately owned businesses.
- DWF ranked first of all top 20 UK law firms (by revenue) for the quality of its legal advice with a score of 9.15 out of 10, the only national firm to score above nine in any category.
- DWF ranked in joint first place of all national firms for service delivery and responsiveness, with a score of 8.5 out of ten. DWF's client's commended the firm for its “speed and efficiency”, in addition to acknowledging the firm's “knowledge of subject area.”
Managing Partners’ Forum for Management Excellence 2015
National business law firm DWF has been shortlisted in three categories at the 2015 MPF European practice management awards. The awards, which are supported by the Harvard Business Review and the Financial Times, recognise the UK firms that have displayed management and operational excellence throughout the year.
- Best Leadership of Innovation category recognises the DWF’s leadership across a broad range of innovative initiatives that have led to major developments in client service delivery, organisational structure and people management.
- Best Managed Workplace highlights the success of DWF’s leadership team in developing a workplace designed to deliver high levels of employee engagement and collaboration.
- Best Programme for Leadership Development recognises DWF’s transformational leadership program and new performance development and measurement tool.
Managing Partners' Forum Awards for Management Excellence 2014
The MPF Awards are held in association with The Financial Times, Google Enterprise and The Harvard Business Review and recognise management excellence in professional services firms across Europe.
- DWF won 'Best Managed National Firm' as it “demonstrated a strong alignment between its overall strategic objectives and delivery by its management team”, the firm was particularly commended for its “strong leadership”, “clear sense of purpose” and “preparedness to adopt state-of-the-art business practices”. DWF’s exceptional growth was noted for being “underpinned by a strong management team” who are “well equipped to drive the business to greater heights, and delivering against a well thought through plan”.
- DWF won ‘Best Financial Management’ in recognition of how the firm has “brought together people, processes and systems to improve financial performance across the firm”. The firm was praised for its “focus on communication to ensure fee earners and support staff understand the firm’s financial objectives”, its “investment in systems to improve management information” and its “focus on improving efficiency at all stages in the end to end billing process”, particularly in relation to how these investments have “benefited clients through more transparent information”.
British Legal Awards 2014
DWF won two awards at the British Legal Awards 2014, hosted by legal magazine Legal Week.
- DWF won the ‘Law Firm Innovation’ award for its bespoke Crisis Response service, which provides clients with comprehensive support and helps safeguard their business and reputation during any business crisis. DWF is the only UK firm to offer this type of integrated service, encompassing 24/7 legal advice, business continuity planning, reputation management and psychological support for clients.
- DWF won ‘Best Use of Technology’ following an investment in the firm’s IT systems, which is driving major operational efficiencies and significantly enhancing client service. Through a partnership with Canon – a deal believed to be a world fist – the firm is moving to a paper-light environment by electronically routing mail directly into the case management system. The investment is also allowing DWF to develop bespoke extranets and a platform that gives clients real-time financial management information.
Lawyer Management Awards 2014
DWF won ‘Management Team of the Year’ at the Lawyer Management Awards 2014 in recognition of the firm’s successful operational management. The Lawyer magazine, which hosted the awards, cited that DWF has excelled across all operational areas including business and client development, facilities, HR, knowledge management, IT, and risk and compliance, and commended the firm’s “rapid expansion and willingness to embrace new opportunities in the UK legal market”.
Lawyer Management Awards 2013
- DWF won ‘Best Major Project’ in recognition of the firm’s achievements following the acquisition of Cobbetts. Recognising the “immense time pressures” the judges commented that it is “sometimes it is the most practical projects that impress” and that “the bare facts boggle the mind – 742 people, less than a month’s elapsed time and three lease negotiations A huge achievement for the facilities, IT and real estate teams.”
Legal Week Employee Satisfaction Report 2014
An independent survey of solicitors and trainee solicitors across the top UK firms.
- DWF ranked second of all UK law firms for overall employee satisfaction.
- DWF ranked third of all UK law firms for professional satisfaction.
- DWF ranked third of all UK law firms for management, which covers key areas such as strategic direction, cooperation and teamwork, recognition and praise, line management and internal communication.
2014 North of England Excellence Awards
DWF won the Leadership award at the 2014 North of England Excellence Awards in recognition of the firm’s commitment to championing and developing excellence across the firm. The firm was commended for demonstrating critical elements of excellent leadership, successfully communicating its vision and values and engaging with employees, clients and wider stakeholders in order to increase efficiency and deliver growth. DWF is the first legal services firm to partner with the British Quality Foundation and North of England Excellence as part of its excellence journey.
Legal Business Awards 2014
- Andrew Leaitherland, Managing Partner & CEO at DWF, won ‘Management Partner of the Year’ for “putting his firm firmly on the legal services map”. Commended for building “strong strategic and operational boards” and “eschewing the traditional law firm structure” to adopt a corporate approach which enables “sharper decision making and clearer reporting lines”, Andrew’s “boundless energy” and “ability to communicate his vision effectively” have been credited as “galvanising forces behind the firm’s success”.
Roll on Friday Firm of the Year Survey 2014
DWF is ranked 14th in Roll on Friday’s Firm of the Year Survey, reflecting the numerous initiatives that have been launched this year aimed at increasing employee engagement and satisfaction across the business, including social activities for staff, the launch of the DWF academy to support learning and development, new office locations in Birmingham, Dublin and London and a significant investment in IT systems that has enabled greater collaboration across the firm.
The Lawyer Hot 100
- Andrew Leaitherland recognised in The Lawyer’s Hot 100.
Living Wage Champions Award Shortlist 2014
The Living Wage Foundation supports UK employers who have made significant contributions to their community and industry through the implementation of the Living Wage, an hourly wage that is set independently and calculated annually according to the basic cost of living in the UK. Shortlisted for a Living Wage Champions Award, DWF has been recognised for the impact it is has had in the North West, where it employs over 1,200 people across Liverpool, Manchester and Preston.
Top Employers for Working Families 2014
- DWF ranked in the Top 30 Employers for Working Families 2014 following independent research, conducted by the work-life balance organisation Working Families, which benchmarks employers on their work-life and flexible working policies and practices.
Business in the Community
DWF has achieved Silver and Bronze standards for gender and race diversity in a survey conducted by Business in the Community (BITC). This was DWF’s first year participating in the survey, which was developed by BITC as a confidential diversity assessment tool to provide participants with sector specific performance data, constructive feedback and specific action plans around their diversity and inclusion agendas. The survey is jointly run by:
- BITC’s Opportunity Now campaign which empowers employees to accelerate change for women in the workplace and;
- The Race for Opportunity campaign, which helps businesses to improve employment opportunities for ethnic minorities.
Telegraph Out at Work Top 50 LGBT Executives 2015
The Telegraph Out at Work Top 50 LGBT Executives celebrates those who are making a difference in the workplace and influencing change in their companies and communities. DWF solicitor Paul Maddock has been recognised for his work in founding and chairing DWF’s LGBT employee network, OutFront. He has organised events in conjunction with Stonewall and has also reviewed the firm’s HR policies to help champion LGBT needs.
Manchester Legal Awards 2014
- DWF won ‘Large Law Firm of the Year’.
Yorkshire Legal Awards 2013
- DWF won ‘Large Law Firm of the Year’.
Liverpool Legal Awards 2013
North of England Excellence Awards 2013
- DWF won ‘Special Award for High Growth’.
North West Responsible Business Awards 2014
- DWF won ‘Employee Volunteering Business of the Year’.